Monday, October 26, 2009

Let's try this once more, this time with hydrofluoric acid.


I know. I'm a glutton for punishment. I swore that I was done with this franchise. Saw V was enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth. David Hackl crushed my hopes for any answers to the story of Jigsaw. As I said before, Hackl made a damn mess of Saw V.

So what was the only reason I gave Saw VI a chance? Director, Kevin Greutert.

Honestly, I'm glad I did. We got to finally see a lot of the plot holes filled. Granted some of them will never be cleared up but, with horror franchises, you take what you can get.

I don't think I'm going to rehash the story in detail. Mainly because it's the same ol' same ol'. You start from the end of the previous film and end up following someone/someones through the tests that Jigsaw (or one of his lackys) has set up. The only difference in this one, we actually get answers!

All your favorites are back, John (Tobin Bell ), Amanda (Shawnee Smith), Jill (Betsy Russell) and Hoffman (Costas Mandylor). Of course some of them only show up in flashbacks but they answer a lot of questions. What was in Amanda's letter? What was in the box John left to Jill? What is Hoffman's test?

We also get to see the last traps John ever set up himself and they really are fantastic. These may be some of the best traps since the first movie. I really enjoyed the Marry-Go-Round and the Maze traps. Plus the Hydrofluoric Acid trap was pretty gruesome.

All in all, this was much, much better than the last one. It cleared up so many questions. I wish I could say that this was the end. It would be quite fitting. Alas, there is a Saw VII in the works and I hate to say that Hackl is supposed to helm it and it will be in 3D.

Damn you Twisted Pictures, Damn you if it's true.

RATINGS:

ACTING:PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

GORE:PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

HUMOR:---

OVERALL:PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket 1/2

2 comments:

Junior Bruce said...

See, we're on opposite sides of the Saw spectrum. I didn't start liking the franchise until Hackl took over as director, because it was at that point that the franchise stopped trying to be some woefully deep series of ethical and moral questions, and started being a big pile of dumb fun along the same lines as the Final Destination movies. If you go back to the original Saw, the ideas behind Jigsaw's motivations are interesting, but the executions of said motivations is so sloppily done, it rendered any meaning behind them moot. Woot!

Robin said...

I can see where you're coming from I just thought Hackl's directing wasn't that great. I hated his style and the traps, while interesting, were not as exciting as any of the prior traps, in my opinion.

But that's the glory of a franchise. While it may not please every time usually there is something for everyone!